Day 42: Hartville to Fair Grove

The Warmshower host came through yesterday! After hanging out at the library, I rode just a little over a mile west to my hosts’ place. Upon arriving, I noticed there were a lot of things out on the front yard. Bret, the hosts’ son, greeted me. My hosts, Ted and Nancy, drove in soon after I arrived.

The house has all kinds of things in it. The kitchen is Coca-Cola themed, the bathroom has seashells on the ceiling with walls painted ocean blue, and the living room is decorated with military and Christianity objects. The family also has several dogs and cats. I actually felt a little clusterphobic.

Nancy told me they are working on a shower. In the mean time, I can use the bath. After cleaning myself in the bath, I watched a little TV in the living room with Bret. Bret is a little younger than I am. I feel like he’s still trying to find what he wants to do. While Ted and Nancy were out in the yard cutting the grass, I decided to set up my tent out in the front yard.

Ted mowing the lawn using a 1950 tractor

For dinner, we grilled some burgers in the fire pit. Nancy baked some ham and beans. I had a total of three burgers. Guess I must be really hungry.

Bret, Ted, and Nancy having burgers

Bret, Nancy, and I talked through out the night while Ted went to bed early. We chatted about Nancy’s life, who’s a transplant from California. Then Nancy told me about her idea of fixing the drug problems and the prison system. She wants to build an academy for nonviolent drug offenders. We also talked about Christianity and how the story of the Good Samaritan was actually about a Muslim helping a Jew. Our conversation was very interesting and I didn’t go to bed until midnight.

This morning, I woke up at 5:45. I didn’t want to wake anyone up, so after folding up my tent I rode westward. I didn’t ride too far today because the weather forecast called for rain in the afternoon. I had breakfast at Marshfield in a restaurant called Mom’s Kitchen where I had an omelette and some coffee. The owner of the restaurant wished me luck on my journey and I hope the business is doing well since the restaurant just opened earlier this month.

Curious cows

On turtle duty again

Cynthia, the owner of Mom's Kitchen

I only had to ride another 11 miles to get to another Warmshower host’s place. I arrived at 10:45 AM, having rode a total of 37 miles. I decided to take the rest of the day off. I met my host, Jay, at his workshop. He is a metalsmith and showed me pictures of chandeliers he had built for one of his clients. After showing me around in his house, Jay left me alone so he can continue working in the shop. I took a shower, did laundry, and planned the next few days rides.

In the early afternoon, Jay came back to the house and made some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the both of us. Jay told me he has been a metalsmith since 1986. He used to work for Bass Pro, but now he works independently. This is his fifth year as a Warmshower host.

After lunch, I took a nap. The rain only came down a little bit, not so much a storm. I’m hoping there won’t be much rain tomorrow even though the weather forecast indicated rain the whole day.

As I was starting to write my blog post in the kitchen, Jay’s wife, Kelly, arrived. We talked a little bit and now she’s cooking some pork chops for dinner. The smell is so good that I can’t wait to eat. Tonight, I’ll be sleeping on a bed. I don’t remember the last time I did that.

Pork chop, rice, and broccoli for dinner

A nice bed to sleep on tonight

My Warmshowers hosts, Kelly and Jay