Day 3: Rest Day in Lancaster

Yesterday, I decided to stay in Lancaster the for the next few days. The main reason is the rain today and tomorrow. Amelia, and the rest of her family, were very gracious and allowed me to stay until Monday or Tuesday. The rain is supposed to stop on Monday afternoon, if it’s early enough then I’ll ride to York on Monday.

It was a beautiful day yesterday. He sun was beaming at 86 degrees. In the morning, Amelia’s sister, Briege, and her boyfriend Aaron, made some ham and egg sandwiches. With a cup of coffee, they were just what I needed.

Jacqueline, Aaron, Briege, Amelia

I then walked a few blocks to the post office to send out a pair of sunglasses and earbuds back home. The sunglasses kept falling off my nose when I was riding. That’s why I had bought another pair at Shirk’s bike shop earlier. I don’t think I will wear earbuds on my trip since I like the sounds of the road.

At the Lancaster Central Market, there were a lot of vendors. I was going to buy some fish for dinner but they were too expensive. Instead, I bought some apricot tea for Amelia and her family. After dropping by the visitor center to pick up a map, I went back to Amelia’s.

Lancaster Central Market

Realizing that there wasn’t much to do and the weather is so nice, I went back out again. This time, I stopped by Silantra, an Asian restaurant. The staff were very nice and hooked me up with a fat wrap. Afterwards, I went to the public library.

I logged on to the library computer and searched about the headwinds on the TransAmerica Trail. As it turned out, some people say the headwind is not so bad. I think I will still go west from Virginia then. I also took the time to print out some contact cards that has my name, website, and email so I can share them with the people I meet.

Still a little bored, I browsed a book called Essentialism by Greg McKeown. It’s a book I’ve seen before. It talks about doing less and better rather than doing everything at once. Something I definitely agree with.

After spending about an hour and half at the library, I took a short walk to Musser Park, where I bought an ice cream cone from an ice cream truck. Resting there was great but I felt really hot. As I was walking back to Amelia’s, I saw her and her sister. They invited me to go to a park where they’ll put up some hammocks. What a great idea! I jumped on board right away.

The park is called Long’s Park. I met Amelia’s boyfriend, Carlos. A really cool guy who actually knows some Mandarin Chinese since he studied in Beijing for a year. The four of us just relaxed on the hammocks for a while. I felt very lucky to be on my trip and meeting these great people.

Long's Park

When we got back to the apartment, I went to eat some noodles at Noodle King, about a block away. Briege asked me if I wanted to go see her friends Bill and Tracy. I said sure!

Bill and Tracy are two wonderful people. Bill went to Hong Kong during the Vietnam War. He is also very handy and built a pond, a garden, a patio with a fireplace, and a garage behind his house. I’m always impressed by people like Bill, who seem to do anything. Later, Amelia and Carlos showed up. We all talked deep into the night, eating peanuts and enjoying the fireplace. Briege had to go home early, so I went home with Amelia and Carlos.

Bill, Amelia, Carlos, Tracy

I went to bed at around 11:45 PM. Today, it’s going to rain. Not sure what my plans are yet.